What You Put on Your Pet’s Skin Matters
Ensuring the health and well-being of your pet is the top priority of any owner. When it comes to the health of their skin and coat it is no different. Pet skin is approximately 1/3 the thickness of human skin. With a natural pH higher than humans, pet skin is naturally more delicate and sensitive. Thus harmful chemicals found in commercial products are easily absorbed. In many cases causing nasty side effects such as irritation, dryness, itching and coat damage.
Chemicals to watch out for when bathing your pet include:
- Fragrance – This is often added to help make your pet smell like roses. But can irritate skin, eyes and overwhelm your pet’s olfactory glands. Some synthetic fragrances have been noted to cause cancer and toxicity.
- Sulfate (or Sodium Laurel Sulfate) – A industrial strength surfactant widely used because of its ability to break down dirt and oil, can cause skin irritations, dandruff and hair deterioration.
- Parabens (or butylparaben, methylparaben or propylparaben) – Added to inhibit bacterial growth and extend shelf life, these chemicals can deteriorate the health of hair follicles, rendering dull coats. The other nasty side effect of parabens is that they are “stored” in the body and cause cellular disruption and cancer over time.
- Cocamide (or Cocamidopropyl Betaine) – A toxic chemical additive that has been proven to break down the immune system, alter pH of pet skin causing irritation and is often contaminated by other toxins.
- Pyrethroids, Organophosphates and Carbamates – These additives are commonly found in flea and tick products and are extremely dangerous. Varying degrees of toxicity can include skin irritation, seizures, cancer, nervous system damage and even death.
At Morrocco Method we feel that being able to understand what is in your pet’s shampoo is important. That is why we have specifically formulated our pet shampoos with only the purest minerals and botanicals. Our 100% natural, raw, paleo friendly pet shampoos cleanse, nourish and protect the pet in your life.
Go to our Pets Resources Page for more information about all of our MM pet products.