It’s Summer Time!
That means, at least in the Northern hemisphere, the days are longer, warmer, and the summer nights are something special. It also means that the sun is at its peak, and not all of the sun’s rays are particularly safe for your skin and hair. Here’s some suggestions to keep yourself safe from the summer sun! (Tired of the ‘s’ words yet?)
Sunhat: According to a 2009 study, your scalp isn’t protected by your hair! Long hair is especially unhelpful to protect your sensitive scalp from the sun’s rays. Sun damage to your scalp and neck can be extremely harmful, so wear a hat! A broad-brimmed hat that covers your head and neck is the perfect protection.
Shade: If you’re going to be outside, rest in the shade. Stay under a tree or umbrella and you’ll reduce your sun exposure and chance for sun damage.
Sunscreen: Not all sunscreens are safe, but we’d like to point you to EWG’s Skin Deep Guide to the Summer Sun. They suggest safer sunscreens and have a lot of good tips to prevent sun damage.
- Euro Oil is perfect to put on your hair before jumping in. It helps saturate your hair with oil so the chlorine or salt water doesn’t get to your hair.
- Sapphire Volumizer Mist Conditioner & Moisturizer can be applied generously before swimming to prevent penetration of chlorine and the absorption of salt water.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with clear water as soon after swimming as possible.Try Morrocco Method’s Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo, to get out the chemicals that are holding onto your hair, and finish with your favorite conditioner.
- Wear a swim cap or protectively style your hair in braids.
- Salt water + Sun + Sea Breeze = Super Dry Hair. So moisturize with any of our conditioning products, or use our shampoos for dry hair — appropriately enough Sea Essence Shampoo is good for that.